Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Footloose (1984)

I bought this movie packaged along with "Flashdance" which I previously reviewed. Both of them are cult favorites among dancers and teens. Footloose is coming from the rebellious teenagers mad at the parents for their rules and restrictions. "Footloose" has since become a successful Broadway musical for its memorable song and dances. The movie is fun and Kevin Bacon does a good job. This is what made his career and he since become a pretty good actor. The film is very cheesy and a little overdone focusing a lot on the controlling pastor father who pretty much runs the town. There were some small towns like this but never to this extreme and not completely run by the church. Besides the good dancing which is only in one scene and at the very end the movie does not have much to offer, but it is a fan favorite for many and it is impossible for me to deny its popularity. The movie does represent what all young people feel in rebelling and having "our time." The fact is the movie is not that good and poorly executed. There is no extremely bad acting to complain about but there really isn't much there at all. I admit that when I stopped watching it I could not stop humming the song. I am interested in seeing the new 2011 remake which was accepted to generally positive reviews. I am hoping that the best qualities from this film came over into the new version.

2.5 out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment