Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Reader

Truly a remarkable film with amazing performances. The movie is off to a good start because it has amazing source material to work with. Then you add director Stephen Daldry into the mix and some fabulous actors including Ralph Fiennes, Kate Winslet, and the young but great David Kross and an amazing script. I got completely sucked into the story and its metaphor on people coping post WWII and the Holocaust. The new generations reaction to their countries history and the story of this young boys affair with an older woman. I kept watching the film thinking this cannot be right she has to be good but she really is not. She is flawed she has done wrong. The performances in this movie are spectacular totally sweeping me away and it leaves you breathless. It makes you think about how fast life goes and you never know which way life will take you. This is definitely one of the best films of 2008 maybe even my favorite. I related to Michael's character very closely and saw a bit of myself in him probably because of our closeness in age. Then when seeing the older version of him and looking back at his life I sat wondering if this would be me. The story is epic, the performances astounding. The movie is sad, happy, erotic, depressing, thought provoking, and true. This is a movie everyone should see.

5 out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment