Friday, November 11, 2011

Miller's Crossing (Coen Brothers Summary)

I watched this Coen Brothers film about a week ago and forgot to review it amongst the many things that have been going on and I think because it did not leave a huge impact on me negative or positive. The film does have a huge fan base among Coen Brothers fans and is regarded as one of the great "gangster" flicks. I thought it was good but not as good as I would have hoped or expected coming from a Coen Brothers film. I did like it however, there are some great performances all around, the front runner being John Turturro who is a Coen favorite. He also appears in "Barton Fink," "O Brother, Where Art Thou," "The Big Lebowski," and maybe more. The cinematography is a clear standout along with some cool story telling techniques. I also liked the style of the film, just as all other Coen films are but to me this one just doesn't have that heart and that extra unique thing that most of their films have. I have nothing really to complain about it but not much to praise about it either. I like just as much Coen films as I find some to be not so good even though other fans love them. I am in love with "No Country For Old Men," "Blood Simple," "Fargo," and recently "The Man Who Wasn't There" but I have been disappointed with "The Ladykillers," "Barton Fink," and am still trying to like "The Big Lebowski" I recognize some of the greatness in the films that I am not as fond of but they are hard to like when some of their films are just so great.

2.5 out of 5 Stars

My Coen Brothers Summary.

Blood Simple.--------------------------------------5 Stars (Top 100 List)                  
Raising Arizona-------------------------------------3 Stars
Miller's Crossing-----------------------------------2.5 Stars
Barton Fink----------------------------------------2.5 Stars
The Hudsucker Proxy----------------------------(Have Not Seen)
Fargo----------------------------------------------5 Stars
The Big Lebowski---------------------------------2.5 Stars
O Brother, Where Art Thou?----------------------2 Stars
The Man Who Wasn't There-----------------------5 Stars
Intolerable Cruelty---------------------------------3.5 Stars
The Ladykillers------------------------------------2 Stars
No Country For Old Men-------------------------5 Stars (Top 100 List)
Burn After Reading--------------------------------3 Stars
A Serious Man------------------------------------4 Stars
True Grit------------------------------------------3 Stars

I will give my review for "The Man Who Wasn't There" next because I just watched it this morning and loved it. One more film left to watch and then I can say that I have seen every Coen Brothers film. They are enjoyable films and the Coens are astounding filmmakers. Even the movies that I am not crazy about have huge fan bases and get numerous amounts of critical acclaim. You should definitely check these guys out.

No comments:

Post a Comment