Thursday, January 12, 2012

Great Expectations

This movie gripped me from the very opening moments and would not let me go. This modern retelling of the classic Charles Dickens tale proves itself to be a timeless masterpiece. While watching the movie I almost thought to myself that I should not like this that much. There is not anything that wonderful about this movie. I was completely sucked into the storytelling and the performances of these fantastic actors. Gwyneth Paltrow is sexier then ever, De Niro is awesome, Ethan Hawke is so innocent and perfectly cast, Anne Bancroft is crazy, Garry Cooper is funny, and the two young children are riveting. Alfonso Cuaron knows how to make a sexy movie. Everybody who has seen "Y Tu Mama Tambien" knows this. He has a very unique and peculiar style that stays with you and resonates after every scene. He is a great storyteller and he keeps you constantly interested in what is going on with Finn. I rarely get this into a movie. It was almost like a dream, a beautifully colored awesome dream and I was living vicariously through Ethan Hawke's character. The artistry of the film is so gorgeous I cannot even put it into words, you just have to experience it for yourself. The movie slows down and loses some momentum before the end but if you are as involved as I was with this film it does not matter. It does unfortunately start stronger then it finishes. I still loved this movie. In general it is a pretty light flick but at the same time holds so much weight. It is the kind of thing you are simply just supposed to enjoy, like life. The film truly is miraculously beautiful. I commend Cuaron for his direction and I love Dickens for just coming up with this fantastic story about endless and hopeless, out of control love. I do not want to ruin it but the fountain kiss ranks up there in the best kisses in all of cinema, if not the best. Watch this movie, I am sure almost anyone will enjoy it even those who are not real film buffs. It is such a simplistic tale done with near perfection. Fans of the classic novel and David Lean's acclaimed film should enjoy a modern retake which focuses on almost a completely different subject. This adaptation is good because Cuaron sticks to the source material in small details but deviates away from it at times with major plot points. Prepare to have this film take your breath away.

5 out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment