Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Young Adult

Jason Reitman and Diablo Cody team up once again to make the awkwardly funny and honest, "Young Adult." The movie is good. Charlize Theron is fantastic, as she always is, however she gets a little annoying. Her character is hard to handle with other people and it shone through and made it a little hard for me as the audience to handle. As the audience we need to love her and hate her at the same time, I think she annoyed me more then anything. The movie is all about her, that is Mavis, going back to her home town to try and reclaim her married with child ex-boyfriend from High School, the only place she ever really succeeded. She end up with an awkward friendship with the guy she often used to call a "theater fag." The movie is funny but at times a little depressing. This whole thing is about a woman's failed life and her desperate and awful attempt to get back what once was and never will be again. I liked it but I cannot say that I loved it. It does not hit you as hard as Reitman's other films especially "Juno," which is fantastic. I think what the movie was trying to do is make you see the Mavis that is inside everyone, the problem is that it is a little hard to see that because Mavis is such an extreme and unlikable character. I did relate, just not as much as I thought I should. I related more to Patton Oswalt's character than anyone else. He does an incredible job. The script is good but not as quirky as Cody's others so it could be a little disappointing. I really did like the film I just do not think it holds up as well compared to Reitman's others and the other fantastic films that have come out this year.

4 out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment