Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Glengarry Glen Ross


Last night I watched this film which was originally a play written by the famous David Mamet which he also adapted for the screen. The movie is directed by James Foley who's other movie I recently reviewed, Perfect Stranger. This movie was a bit of a flop not breaking even with its budget and received some minor critical acclaim with Al Pacino being nominated for Best Supporting Actor and lots of praise for Jack Lemmon. The play and film was controversial for its frequent and vulgar language. The movie is about a group of real estate agents trying to fight for the big and important leads and for their jobs. If they are not in the two top sellers by I think it is the end of the week they will be fired. The movie takes place in only two days. The dialogue is very well written but I never really fully immersed into the film. While watching it I was extremely aware that it was originally done on stage and you can tell by the dialogue and set pieces. The film does not really take you completely away. The acting is fantastic all around, how can it not be when you have Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Alec Baldwin, Kevin Spacey, Ed Harris, and Alan Arkin all in the same movie. They must have all been eager to participate in Mamet's critically acclaimed play which won the pulitzer. If you like this kind of thing this movie is done well but it just was not what I would call fantastic. I want a movie to completely sweep me away in the performances and the story and this movie did not do that.

3 out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment