Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Tree Of Life

Okay so Terrence Malick is respected as being a great director all through Hollywood and this is his first film after a 6 year hiatus, his last film being The New World which is the story of Pocahontas. This movie centers around a family in the 50s. Brad Pitt and wife and their three children. As the plot is described on IMDB the elder son "witnesses the loss of innocence." This movie is very artsy and as my friend described it the first half hour feels like your watching National Geographic. Lots of plants, animals, galaxies, birth, and "life." I did not like this movie. It is like all of his other films with dreary long shots of people kind of just having feeling with no audible dialogue and lots of scenery some of it being absolutely amazing. However, it is like there is absolutely no plot. I guess it is supposed to be real moving and the struggles with family and life going on and death of a child but the movie is just boring. I did not care. The movie is 2hrs 15min and I was just waiting for it to end. I can not complain about the acting or bad script or things like that but their is just lack of story. It is all emotion and I really did not see any point to the movie at all. If you are a fan of Terrence Malick's other films you might like this one. I thought Badlands was a waste of time and that The Thin Red Line again like this film lacked point. There is some truly beautiful scenery here and cool shots but that is it. I feel like this is a movie critics give good reviews for because they know its artsy and they see the  directors style and they just pretend they like it because Terrence Malick has for some reason become an acclaimed director. I want to like his films because it seems like all the smart critics like his work but it is just plain boring. Watch something else.

2 out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment